FROM THE DIRECTOR'S CORNER
8 out of 10 covid 19 deaths reported in the U.S have been in senior adults 65 and older. IAGB is planning on liaising with Councils on Aging in various towns to implement some simple, no expense steps that younger people and adults can take to help seniors cope right now. Of course, there are many other ways we can serve elderly communities at large, which we are also planning to ideate on and implement.
IAGB CARE CALLS FOR SENIORS:
To do the following:
- Covid Safety & Nutrition check calls:
- WHAT: CONNECT WITH LOCAL HEALTHCARE WORKERS (Medical Assistants, Home Health Aides, LPN-s, CNA-s, etc. at local hospitals) AND ARRANGE TO HAVE THEM MAKE CALLS TO SENIORS TO ENSURE THIS.
- Basic Tech. Help calls:
- WHAT: Teach seniors how to get better at technology. Liaise with local middle schools, high schools in Middlesex county and college students to get a list of volunteers in a callers list to take turns to make late afternoon or early evening calls to seniors to teach them basic technology as basic as teaching them how to use a smart phone, do a face time, do a zoom call, skype, help them.
- Mental health check calls:
- WHAT: Calls from volunteers to just do a 30 mins chat by phone or zoom – just to check on them and ask how they are doing, how they are feeling – just let them vent – just be a good listener.
IAGB CARE CONNECT WITH LOCAL SENIOR CENTERS:
WHAT: Many local Senior Centers and councils of aging have been super active and proactive in the covid phase, doing outreach, grocery delivery and other connections to community resources for food/meals and basic hygiene needs.
We are working on liaising with them to raise funds and increase manpower to help them run meals on wheels or grocery on wheels programs. We will have smaller fund-raising events to donate to these senior centers, and volunteer sign up drives to deliver groceries put together by the senior centers.
IAGB CARE HEALTH BENEFITS WORKSHOPS AND Q & A:
WHAT: While many seniors are navigating their nutritional needs on a tight budget, they are also struggling to pay for their medications. They may not be receiving all benefits they are eligible for. We will connect with local pharmacies and healthcare payers/health insurance companies to set up monthly workshops for updated info sharing and a Q & A session.
These are a few initiatives we are working on, during this covid crisis, for senior citizens. To care for those who once cared for us is one of the highest honors. Our seniors need our support during these testing times. Let us love, care and treasure the elderly people in our community and beyond. We cannot do this alone – please come forward and join us in ideating, planning a feasible course of action, and implementing all those effectively, in the true interest of the seniors.